I have wanted to try making a hypertufa trough ever since I saw my first one at a plant swap a few years ago. Barbara and I decided during the long winter months that we would give it a go in the spring since it takes a few weeks to cure enough to plant in. I'm condensing our steps but here's the link for the directions I used. http://www.efildoog-nz.com/hypertufa.htm
First we chose some regular cardboard boxes for the trough and some old mixing bowls for the others.
Next we combined 2 parts peat, one part portland cement and one part sand. Look at Barbara go!
Add water till you reach "mud pie" consistency...this looks like "mud pie "consistency to me!
Now to get our hands dirty! (gloves help)
Looks Good to me!
Stones add a decorative touch.
24 hours later the unveiling...
Roughing and smoothing the edges with a wire brush makes it look aged.
This is not a project for lazy people! Barb and I thought we could whip these out in no time but it took a few hours. I guess if we had a crew like Martha Stewart has to do the supply gathering and mixing it would have been more fun. I'm glad we stuck with it. Now we have these great planters and even better memories of good times spent as sisters!