Quote

Soft moss a downy pillow makes, and green leaves spread a tent,
Where faerie fold may rest and sleep until their night is spent.
The bluebird sings a lullaby, the firefly gives a light,
The twinkling stars are candles bright, Sleep, Faeries all, Goodnight.
---Elizabeth T. Dillingham "A Faery Song"

Monday, January 17, 2011

How Far We've Come, My Garden and I

  I came across this "garden" photo while cleaning in my office today:






... and "I" was even surprised at how much things have changed in the past 5 years.  It has truly been a labor of love.  I saw the potential in this spot of land even then.

Now let's fast forward through a lot of sweat and aching muscles to 2010.....
This photo was taken last May when the world was fresh and wearing new green clothes. You can't see the spring house in the second photo, it is directly to your left here. 

As my garden has grown, I have grown.  I have learned many lessons such as: sometimes a propagated stick (when given some years) rewards you with a feeeling you don't get when you just buy that plant,  some plants just don't like my garden no matter what, that your brain makes plans that are usually rough on the rest of the body (in those times keep ibuprofen handy), there will always be a weed to pull so sit on those benches and swings and appreciate your hard work!
Here's looking forward to a good growing season in 2011.. and shaping our own patches of land to reflect who WE are.

7 comments:

  1. Isn't great that you have that photo to compare? I too have been browsing old photos of our garden and it is nice to see the transformation. I like your stone path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big change and a beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a transformation. I love before and after shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really surprising when you look back at old photos, isn't it? I'm always amazed when I look through older photos of our garden. It can really change fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well put!! And especially inspiring after I put in a huge order for garden plants to landscape around my new pond :-) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing how much we do to our gardens and not even realize it until we find an old picture. “Before and After” pictures are the best way for me to document my gardens. Looking good for you and just imagine it another 5 years from now….

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making a promise to myself to do more bench/swing sitting and appreciating in 2011. Thanks for the advice.

    donna

    ReplyDelete