Quote

Soft moss a downy pillow makes, and green leaves spread a tent,
Where faerie fold may rest and sleep until their night is spent.
The bluebird sings a lullaby, the firefly gives a light,
The twinkling stars are candles bright, Sleep, Faeries all, Goodnight.
---Elizabeth T. Dillingham "A Faery Song"

Monday, April 11, 2011

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

If I could liquefy Monday through Friday and inject it into Saturday and Sunday then the weekend would seem SOOOO long!   However when I have a very fun Saturday it just zooms.  Barb and I went Saturday to Nashville to a perennial plant sale and back through Franklin for the Bloom-n-Garden Expo.  I was up at 4:30 am and back home by 5:30 pm, by that time I was flippin' tired delirious!  All I had strength to do is wander about the garden, hopefully to spy out a place to plant my treasures when I recover.

The Perennial Plant Society of Nashville really go all out.  Here is the mascot with some random guy she pulled into the picture.  I should have cropped him out (smile).   

They take this sale seriously.  It wasn't scheduled until 9 am but people were lining up at 8:00.  Apparently they knew something we didn't so after much coaxing Barb convinced me it was worth standing in line for an hour against my loud protesting.  I thought what the heck so I had someone take our pic.  The line behind us is LONG!
Once it was opening time it was "Katie bar the door!"  People were racing all directions toward their favorite plants.  It was all neat and orderly with things alphabetized by botanical name.  I am grateful to know that hemerocallis= daylily...I would have lost out if I had been standing at the D's!  I didn't get any pics inside (I would have been stampeded).  Imagine 10,000 13 year olds at a Justin Bieber concert and you'll be close to imagining the scene.  Barb scarfed up some peonies (she's a sucker for those) and I got some phlox, tiarella, rosemary and daylilys.  I knew my ninja skills would be handy someday.

This is the scene at the Bloom-n-Garden Expo.  A big old county fair looking place in a stock barn.  Much more laid back.  They had lots of this & that.  I mainly got cute ideas for garden decor.  Barb lugged out a Japanese maple--green edged with red.  I'll quit blabbing a minute and show you the pics I took.

Check the frog....
Love the espalier....

This gets my vote for cutest booth...a mini potting shed with all kinds of cool garden junque d' art!

Could someone give me a "piggyback ride home?"

5 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I grew up in Nashville and lived there until 2000 and new knew about these sales. Probably just as well, I would have been amognst those spampeding for iris! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that was fun. Are you going to the plant sale in B'ham this weekend? I wanted to but it looks like I'll have to skip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!!! I'm with you...I love that potting shed! Very cute!!! Sounds like you had a weekend like me...busy and no time to stop. I was worn on yesterday. I love the mascot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had fun Jenn! I would love to go to some of those plant sales...but I seem to always have too much "life" going on during those times. I also have the "UT Bloomfest" on my bucket list of plant sales I would like to attend at least once in my life.
    May will be here before we know it - are you ready?? I know I am!!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Hope you got a lot of cool ideas to go with your delirium and total fatigue! We are sure starting to see blooms here.. hoping to be recovered enough from my trip to show some soon!!

    ReplyDelete