Quote

Soft moss a downy pillow makes, and green leaves spread a tent,
Where faerie fold may rest and sleep until their night is spent.
The bluebird sings a lullaby, the firefly gives a light,
The twinkling stars are candles bright, Sleep, Faeries all, Goodnight.
---Elizabeth T. Dillingham "A Faery Song"

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Backordered Rain?

I think God gave us rainy days so we gardeners would rest and not feel guilty!  I have caught up on my rest and have eaten way too much food during this monsoon-of-a-weekend.  I crept outside and snapped a few pictures before yet another deluge began.  Thank goodness I keep an umbrella stashed in my potting shed!  My mom used to call such rains "gosling drowners."  A co-worker dubs them "toad stranglers."  All I know is a lot of rain fell in a short time.  I would tell you how much if I hadn't been lazy and put off putting up my rain gauge. 

Heritage rose is no worse for the wear from the beating rain:
I felt sorry for this little bee...he looks so bedraggled and weary on my iris:

This rose was one of my year old babies blooming for the first time.  Glad the rain didn't destroy these until I could see them at least.

Not the best photography to be sure but I was glad to see my cheap-o remedy for " peony rain flop" is working...plastic 6 pack coke rings.

We were blessed here in extreme southern middle Tennessee.  The severe flooding and heaviest rains this weekend stayed on the western edge of our county as it marched northward.  Our ground is saturated so it will be a few days until I can do much in the actual ground.  On the bright side we are due some sunny 80 degree days all week.  Just in time for the workweek...but I digress.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through Sandy at Peonies & Magnolias. Your blog names caught my eye and really made me laugh. It's very cute and I love it! You have a beautiful blog and I enjoy your style of writing (and the content, of course)!
    Patricia :o)

    PS: Come on over to my blog. I'm having a giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Iris and you have a beauty there! My purple varieties are blooming now. I may have this one, but I have so many that it is hard to remember. The heat here in So. CA really takes a toll on them early if it gets hot. So far we have had a good spring and they are doing very well. You have a wonderful blog. I just signed up to follow it.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete